Harley Street is a street in Marylebone, Central London, which has, since the 19th century housed a large number of private specialists in dentistry, medicine and surgery. It was named after Edward Harley, 2nd Earl of Oxford and Earl Mortimer.
Since the 19th century, the number of doctors, hospitals, and medical organisations in and around Harley Street has greatly increased. Records show that there were around 20 doctors in 1860, 80 by 1900, and almost 200 by 1914. When the National Health Service was established in 1948, there were around 1,500. Today, there are more than 3,000 people employed in the Harley Street area, in clinics, medical and paramedical practices, and hospitals.